Friday, 24 August 2012

Grace Like Rain on a Really Hot Day

We were a little bit late for church last Saturday night. It was just a few minutes, but we were late and I didn’t want to be late because Nathan was playing the drums and I didn’t want to miss a minute of the music. Nevertheless, I felt rushed. I feel rushed a lot. It takes me and Mike a long time to do anything…to get ready to go out, to get ready for bed, to get up and at em in the morning etc.

It took us a full hour to get ready to go get Madison from the airport earlier that day. Madison was in Edmonton for almost a week for the Canadian national ball hockey tournament and I was excited to go pick her up. Mike decided he wasn’t going to come; he said he would lie down and have a little nap while I was gone. But first, he needed to go to the washroom. He also wanted to brush his teeth, have his face and hands washed and blow his nose. Then I helped him to the couch to lie down. After about 5 minutes of arranging pillows here and there, he couldn’t get comfortable, so I sat him back up and told him to come with me to the airport and he could sleep on the way. I put his socks and shoes on and we walked to the car. Believe it or not, that all took one hour, so now we were running late for the airport. I drove fast (faster than usual) and we got there on time, but had to wait about 45 minutes for Madison’s stick to show up in the fragile baggage claim. And this is what put us behind for church.
Earlier, while I fed Mike his lunch, he and I visited with Erin in the living room. Erin and I listened to fitness music and chose songs we liked for new play lists we both need for our fitness classes. We were having a wonderful, relaxing time, but had to wrap things up abruptly when I realized we needed to get ready to go to the airport.

Lunch was late that day because Mike and I took our dog Molly to the dyke for a swim. Mike and I were taking care of the dog because Madison was away. We were in the middle of a heat wave and in order to keep the dog cool for a few hours and get her some exercise, we thought a swim was a good idea and it was it just made our lunch later.
Molly had to wait though because our nephew Luke had a soccer game in the morning and we decided last minute to go (not really last minute – that would be out of the question, more like an hour before). Mike insisted to forgo his morning routine of drinks and Budwig protocol (see blog post: What a Heal!) to get to the game…we still missed the first half. But that was okay, because the game ran late and that’s why Molly had to wait.

It was a great day, but I’m not going to lie, a busy day like that is very exhausting for me and I can get frustrated too. Plus it was the hottest week of the year and that wasn’t helping either. But regardless of the temperature, getting Mike here and there, in and out of the vehicle, to and from his wheelchair, up and down from the sofa, to the washroom, dressed and undressed, in and out of bed, from his left side to his right side and so on and so forth, can be a little wearing to say the least.
But that night at church when we sang “Hallelujah, grace like rain, falls down on me. Hallelujah, all my stains are washed away…they’re washed away,” it didn’t matter that we were late. God’s greatest gift to me; His grace…His undeserved mercy and love was all I needed to sing about and I forgot about being late and the hurried feeling I felt five minutes before we got there. My energy was renewed, my attitude improved and peace replaced the hurry.

In the words of another great song (old hymn), 'God’s grace is greater than anything', including my rushed and hurried day, including a debilitating disease like ALS, including the imperfections of this world, including the trials of our lives. God’s grace is greater than all these things and it’s really what I need the most to overcome the above and press on every day.
After the ‘grace like rain’ song (Chris Tomlin’s rendition of Amazing Grace), Nathan left his drum booth and sat down with a bongo drum. The music started slow and softly and I was swept further away from my troubles with another song I love; The River by Brian Doerksen. Half way through, Nathan left the bongo drum and went back to his drum booth and as he played those drums, the song grew louder and more powerful and more captivating. It was moving and beautiful and the words go like this:

To the river I am going
Bringing sins I cannot bear
Come and cleanse me, come forgive me
Lord I need to meet you there

In these waters, healing mercy
Flows with freedom from despair
I am going, to that river
Lord I need to meet you there

Precious Jesus, I am ready
To surrender every care
Take my hand now, lead me closer
Lord I need to meet you there

Come and join us, in the river
Come find life beyond compare
He is calling, He is waiting
Jesus longs to meet you there



                                                      Mike and Molly at the dyke



1 comment:

  1. Nadine & Mike…your courage and your ability to maintain a sense of humour is inspiring! Nadine…I know your plate is very full right now, however you should consider turning your blog into a book one day. Warm Hugs!

    ReplyDelete