Friday, 9 November 2012

Rescued

When our oldest daughter, Erin was in grad six she was diagnosed with Legg Perthes disease (Legg with two g’s). Legg Perthes is a condition where the supply of blood to the hip joint is interrupted causing the hip joint to collapse to some degree because of bone mass loss in the femoral head. It affects about 1 in 1200 children who are typically very active/athletic and only one in four are girls. Erin was in full leg casts and braces until the end of grade seven. During that time she had a couple of surgeries and was in a lot of pain. I remember how helpless I felt as her mother. I was afraid for her and afraid I was failing as her mom because I couldn’t stop the pain or prevent her from going through what she was going through.

Shortly after one of Erin’s surgeries, I received a card in the mail from my cousin Kim. She wrote a Bible verse in the card along with some encouraging words and I was encouraged. The Bible verse was Isaiah 41:10 which says: “So do not fear for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” I was already hanging on to this verse for dear life, but getting the card in the mail with these words was confirmation that God wanted me to know that He meant what He said and He would help me and was indeed already helping me. It was also a reminder that He was with me and would give me the strength to help Erin through a very tough time.
Many times since then I have called out to the Lord for help for different reasons. Since Mike was diagnosed with ALS, I have called out for help a lot, sometimes in desperation and God has never failed to help. Sometimes His help is subtle and sometimes it is not subtle; either way, I am always amazed at His creative ways of rescuing me and his perfect timing. And I am ever so thankful that He is always with me and that He gives me strength every day.

Cast all your cares upon the Lord, because He cares for you so much! 1Peter 5:7
 
Me and Mike with Erin at the Walk for ALS in June. Erin organized our "I Like Mike" team last year and this year, raising lots of money and rallying lots of support. Erin still suffers from the effects of Legg Perthes, but has overcome so much. She has been teaching fitness classes since she was 16 years old and recently graduated with her Education Degree and is now a French Immersion school teacher working in the schools in our community.

No comments:

Post a Comment