Thursday, 5 September 2013

Treasured!


After a couple of very busy weeks, I couldn’t wait to sit down at my computer and write a blog post. I have a number of ideas floating around in my head and the stories I tell myself while I am busy and unable to take down some notes sound great, but when I sat down for the first time in a long time in front of a new Word document, I went blank…writer’s block, I guess. While I have writer’s block, my mom doesn’t. This week a lovely letter to the Editor was posted on our local Times website as well as a couple of pictures and mention of my mom and her letter in the Times Newspaper.
 
The following is my mom’s letter:

Grateful to be part of a family that cares Dear Editor, I am very thankful when my husband George Klassen is by my side when I wake up, but when he isn’t, he is in Brazil or Africa, feeding widows and orphans and drilling wells for fresh water. One of his favourite times at home is when we can go for coffee with our children and enjoy good conversation and a good laugh. We have two wonderful daughters. Elanna and her husband Peter have been a blessing to us and to our daughter Nadine and her husband Mike. Mike was diagnosed with ALS around three years ago, and they had to sell their house because of awkwardness getting around. With no questions asked, Elanna and Peter offered them some living space in their home, and it is wheelchair accessible. They made some adjustments so it would simplify the needs for Mike and Nadine. It is such a blessing for George and me to see the interaction of those two families. They all help one another. Nadine is a wonderful, caring wife who shows constant love to Mike, and he to her. I’m sure there must be some frustration at times for both, but even though Mike can’t speak verbally, he speaks with a nod of the head or a big smile on his face. We have many good times together. We are proud of our family, which includes five grandchildren and one great grandchild. They are all very active and keep us happy and proud. We can be proud, but only because of God’s blessings. He is so good! Thanks to my husband for helping others and for being a good husband and dad. Thanks to Peter and Elanna for their love and help to their little sister Nadine and her husband Mike, and thanks to Mike and Nadine – they have been a real encouragement to us all. Also, a big thanks to Mike’s family who live in Toronto and come out to visit and help as well. They are a great family, too. I also want to thank all the friends who have been so wonderful in giving and also in prayer. Thanks to Ron and Dan for their visits with Mike. Love and thanks to all.           Sheila Klassen, Maple Ridge                                                                                                                                                                  

My mom loves her family and is extremely proud. She is very friendly and likes to socialize and talk about her greatest blessing…her family. We often tease her because she always has pictures of her kids, grandkids and great granddaughter on hand and delights in showing them off…even to complete strangers.  She would drop anything to lend a hand (and so would my dad) to a family member, a friend or anyone. She and my dad don’t have many possessions and as missionaries, live a modest life, but they would consider themselves the richest people in the world. I have always felt treasured!
 
My mom and dad with Mike at the ALS walk in June. Check out their website at projectwellness.ca
 
Mike with his mum and sisters, Pat and Aileen yesterday at the dike.
         
                        
 










 
 

 

 
Mike with his mum and sisters, Pat and Aileen yesterday at the dike.

No comments:

Post a Comment